Level: Intermediate +
Skills: Reading, Writing.
Target Language: A passage of text.
Activity Goal: Improve English language pattern recognition. Improve spelling. Have fun!
Summary: This cryptogram puzzle maker automatically creates a worksheet with a coded passage. Each letter in the passage of text you enter is substituted with with a corresponding code letter. Students must use logical thought and trial and error to solve the puzzle. This worksheet maker is designed for English input only.
- Distribute worksheets - one per group.
- Students work in groups to solve the puzzle.
Notes and Ideas:
- Longer passages will by nature contain more repeating words and patterns and should be easier to solve. Very short passages of only a few words will be very difficult.
- Students should start by looking at the shortest words in the passage. One letter words will be either A, I or O. Two letter words that repeat in the passage are likely to be prepositions like ON, IN, AT, TO.
- Some letters commonly appear together in English such as WH~ TH~ and QU~. Common double letters are LL, EE, OO, TT, FF. Students can look for this type of pattern in the coded text.
- The most frequently used letter in English is the letter E. Other frequently used letters are T A O N R I S H D.